Tuesday 8 August 2017

The Sacred Sword by Hindol Sengupta

Book: THE SACRED SWORD.
Author: Hindol Sengupta
Publisher: Penguin Random House Pvt Ltd.
Code : ISBN 9780143440192

Let me say it very clearly, this is a book that I picked up with the most anticipation and excitement.

It is a story of the Religious leader of one of the most brave, jubiliant, warm and welcoming sects of India, the Sikhs.
It is also a story of a warrior, religious head.

That means it has all the ingredients to make it an instant hit.

It is set in ancient India. It is set against the backdrop of barbarity of the Mughals. It traces the story of Guru Gobind Singh.

But frankly this book to me read like a documentary. 
I was left with a wish to taste more. I would have wished for this book to be a series of 3 books and detailed stories. Or atleast this book to be 1000 pages and allow more detailed introspection into the life of Guru Gobind Singh.

It doesn’t. 
It left me dissatisfied.
To be honest, the author has an awesome story telling style. Beautifully builds up the scenes, tension and drama. But I would have wished for more depth.
Also the author wasted a lot of pages and my attention in meaningless word breakup of war cries or the Sikh salutation.

Having said that, I loved that someone wrote this book. A book on one of the favourite religious leaders of India. I would request the author to write a longer, detailed, in depth book.

A definite must read. This could even be made into a movie.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment